Um, hello sir, could I paint this wall?
Well, mission: paint a map of Peru in a week is going strong. I started this grand plan on Monday and might even be finished labeling by tomorrow afternoon (depending on how fast paint dries…) Funny, how many things in our lives depend on how fast paint dries?
Anyway, I’ve had quite a few helpers on my quest as soon as I started painting countries. Amazing how few Peruvians are willing to help draw boarders. (None).
One cool thing about this project is that all the San Marcos artists are coming out of the woodworks. I met the guy whose mural is actually right next to my map (that’s intimidating) and at least two other people that have offered to help and are actually painters, as in, “one moment please, I’m going to run home and get my paintbrushes.”
I’ve also been teaching my last week of English class, which finally ended today. During this wonderful week by myself (all co-professors having vanished in a puff of Andean smoke) we went over vocabulary words. Really important ones like barf, dude, and uvula. And then the last day of class we listened to American music (thank you, Maureen!) and ate peanut butter sandwiches (thank you, Cassie!) and played games. Actually, we played one game that they really like even though we’ve played it three times before. It entails a poster describing various actions (run, walk, skip, clap, wave, dance, turn, etc.) and each person gets to shout a command and then everyone has to do it. (Run around the soccer field, skip, clap, etc.) Who knew, it was a big hit. I should have stopped trying to come up with other games…
Oh, and on Monday I successfully completed my first money request! I got the municipality of San Marcos to donate funds to a leadership camp that some of the Peace Corps volunteers are planning! Woohoo! Now, I just have to get Mr. Mayor to remember he said that when it comes to collection time. :)
This Sunday I’m going to Trujillo to meet for reconnect. Woohoo! I finally finished the presentation that I have to make and now I just have to get there. Oh, and invite all the leaders of my community to a meeting that we are going to have immediately after I get back with my boss. Urgh…
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home