Money Commentary
So, as I hung out in my room on Sunday, I started cleaning and going through things and I found two receipts that inspired me to write a blog entry…
One of these was for one of my last Starbucks adventures (alas). A grande drip coffee that I bought for $1.87. This is about six soles. Let’s put this into a San Marcos perspective. First, this is the cheapest thing you can get at Starbucks (except for the tall drip coffee). Now, for 2.5 – 5 soles in town or wherever in Ancash (even in the very touristy Huaraz) you can buy the lunch special, which consists of a drink, soup, entrée, and sometimes even a dessert (and always way too much to finish). I also found a receipt for a (albeit slightly expensive) lunch I had before leaving which consisted of a panini and a soda. This meal was $8.89 which is about 28 soles. That is enough cash to pay for over seven people’s meals down here! I just thought that was a little insane. Not that you could get a panini in Ancash.
Sidenote: Going to the dentist to get a tooth pulled or filled is 10 soles. ( ~ $3.22).
Medical insurance for your 0-5 year old child through the health center is 1 sol a year (~ $0.32).
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home