In the AZ...

Friday, August 08, 2008

Fiestas Patrias

Fiestas Patrias is the Independence Day celebration in Peru. In honor of this day, Peace Corps gives us free vacation days which we must use or forfeit. Hence, I grudingly left site and all the marvelous work I was doing and sulked off to a three day backing trip in the Callejón de Huaylas, near Huaraz. Libby, Travis, and I went to Laguna Shallap, at the end of Quebrada Shallap (just to the right of Quebrada Quilcayhuanca... if you were wondering...) :)


Laguna Shallap: The topographical map that Libby had showed the glacier touching the lake. As you can see, the glacier has receded considerably and most likely there is actually now a second lake which we attempted to see but I don't think you can unless you have a helicoptor or mad climbing skills...

One last look at Andean Glacier beauty before Global Warming takes it all away.. :(

Trying to see the other lake: Isn't my boy a cutie??


View from the tent, ya know, just another campsite...

Back in Huaraz: View of the main drag at night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home