Stupid Transportation Strikes...
Well, I'm supposed to be at my site today working on a project that's been several months in the making... But, instead I'm hanging out at the capital city, and not because I want to be..
There is a national transportation strike in Peru! Geez. According the news, it is against the "repressive politics of the president Alan Garcia and for the resolution of social demands." And, as I researched for this blog article, I actually found the Strike "platform" or list of reasons of why they are protesting:
1. Being upset at the rising cost of living and cost of gasoline.
2. In defense of the national opinion of use of natural resources, the environment, and indigenous culture of Peru.
3. Being against repressive politics and corruption.
4. Demanding solutions regarding labor and social issues.
5. The lack of attention to the regional, local, campesino (people living in the countrysides), indigenous, and agricultural demands. Also, being against the closing of the congress by the government and that Garcia is still in power, even though this is in clear violation of the constitutional norms.
-----
That was probably a poor translation so here is the Spanish version and the link for those who want to see it word for word:
http://www.kaosenlared.net/noticia/9-de-julio-paro-nacional-peru
La Plataforma del Paro, es extensa, pero sus organizadores -la CGTP y otras Centrales Sindicales- la han resumido en cinco puntos:
1) Rechazo al alza del costo de vida y de los combustibles;
2) En defensa de la soberanía nacional, los recursos naturales, el medio ambiente, la integridad territorial y el patrimonio cultural;
3) El repudio a la política represiva del régimen, la corrupción e impunidad;
4) La exigencia de solución a las demandas laborales y sociales;
5) Atención a las demandas regionales, locales, campesinas, indígenas y agrarias. Asimismo rechazamos la intención de cerrar el Congreso por parte del gobierno y la voluntad de Alan García de perpetuarse en el poder, en clara violación de las normas constitucionales.
-----
Anyway, so that's what's going on here... :)
As a Peace Corps volunteer I have no official opinion on political situations. However, as a regular person, I'm not sure how one day of road blocks is going to do all of that.
I just want to get back to site!! :(
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home