In the AZ...

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Happy 4th of July!

Today I actually celebrated the 4th of July in a bigger way than I usually do! The Baptist missionaries in my town invited me to a party with the other missionaries that were in the area and we had a BBQ! Usually when people ask me about what typical American food is, I don’t have a clear answer for them. So much of the food we eat reflects on other cultures that I have a hard time pin pointing what distinctly American food would be. Today, I think I came up with my answer as I piled my plate up with the American cuisine of baked beans and potato salad. It’s not that we eat this food everyday, it’s that trying to find it in another country is usually not possible. This got me thinking. What else would fall into that category…rhubarb pie, grits, collard greens, egg salad, chicken pot pie, hmm.. Well, if anyone reading this can think of other distinctly American food items, as in can’t find it in a foreign country (aka hamburgers/ hotdogs are out) please email me or comment on this blog to share! I need all the answers I can to this age old Peruvian question.
Also, if anyone knows how long a flight would be to Lima from Italy…..

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Amanda,
Peter and I did think on one food that you cannot get anywhere but the USA...although not many people except Amanda would want it. That's right... Kashi Good Friends Cereal with scary people on the box!

And by the way I believe it takes about 25 hours to get from Italy to Peru!

-Perpich

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home