Quinceñera Commentary
I actually got invited to my first quinceñera last week! It was really fun and much better than I expected. That might sound weird and cynical but my impression of the whole ordeal was that it happened entirely too late at night and mostly consisted of drinking. Not fun.
The invitation said 9:30pm so I showed up around 9:50pm, a little nervous already because I live about a fifteen minute walk from the main plaza and usually don’t go out after, oh, I’d say about eight or so. And I dressed up, which I never do in this town either. Already a strange night. So, there are five people at the party when I arrive. The party actually started around 11:40pm when the girl finally came down stairs (I’m trying not to use names cause this is the internet and all… so bear with me) in her beautiful bride-like gown. Then she gave a speech, the father gave a speech, the godfather (they like to have godfathers and godmothers for pretty much any event here. This means that they paid for the dress, etc.), the boyfriend, the best friend. All very wedding like. THEN, they had a dance with the father, the godfather, the boyfriend, the grandfather… THEN, they had a dance where every boy in the place had to dance with, we’ll call her Maria, with Maria. And there were about 50 boys present so that took a while. Then, around 1:30am, we were each served a quarter of a chicken with two potatoes and chili pepper sauce. Then dancing. Lots of dancing. Then beer. Lots of beer. Then drunken men. Urgh.
All in all, it was a really fun night, I liked watching all the kids dance. All the girls had these exquisite dresses in bright colors and it was just fun to take it all in. Very nice evening, er, morning?
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home