In the AZ...

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Stuck in San Marcos

So, Tsutsuy and I are going to try and escape the Callejón de Conchucos on Monday. This doesn’t mean that I want to run away from my site. It just means that basically I’ve been trapped in this valley because the roads have been so bad. Now we actually need to get back to Huaraz because Tsutsuy has a package that is going to be sent away on the 27th. It appears that when you certify a package, it waits for you for thirty days and then goes back to Lima. Not to where it was sent from, but rather it disappears and is never heard from again. This is bad. So, we must trek to Huaraz.
I’ve been working at the Health Center this week, except, of course, the days when Marleny doesn’t show up. On those days I just come to the Health Center several times until I get tired walking across town.
Jane and I are also kind of organizing an English class. I do not want to do an English class because I’d like to have more free time to learn Quechua and do everything I can to start the public health programs through the health center because this gets me closer to community health committees and possible health projects, etc. Also, the students in this particular class aren’t the most in need but, on the other hand, they are, in fact, people that probably do need some English in order to do their jobs more efficiently or better. And, they do their homework. This is a key behavior that usually doesn’t happen. So, Jane and I formulated a plan to use their resources and good behavior :) to figure out an actual teaching strategy so that if we end up teaching English classes again in a small community setting (almost a guaranteed for me) there might actually be a chance that we are teaching English. This might start next Tuesday.
So, that’s the news from San Marcos. Also, I am pretty far removed from news and basically everything else out here but I did manage to make my picks for the NCAA tournament and I got seven teams right out of the elite eight! Woohoo! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home