I’m addicted to coffee…
I learned something about myself today. Life seems better when I’m caffeinated. This might be a problem. I had an OK day today with some parts being even “good” or “great” but most of it I was annoyed or upset and I think it might have been the lack of a cup o’ joe this morning. That’s depressing.
Anyway, today I saw a traditional Quechua ceremony celebrating the beginning of rainy season and the planting time at the Chavin ruins in Chavín de Huantar, a town about twenty minutes down the road from San Marcos. There were several parts including a few monologues (in Quechua), the sorting of the coca leaves, typical music, and many different dances from different parts of the sierra. It was the first time that the people in Chavin have put a ceremony like this together and it brought a lot of attention from different Peruvian television news networks and journalists from all over the country. I found out about it by one of my friends who used to live in Chavin (she now works for a tourist agency in Huaraz) who called me on her cell and said, “Come over to Chavin now! They’re dancing and it’s pretty!” So, I lazily rolled out of bed and didn’t really want to go because, well, dancing Peruvians isn’t really a new thing. I didn’t even bring a camera so sorry guys…no pictures. :) BUT, I might get some from one of the photographers there who was a friend of a friend so we shall see.
I then got some errands done and talked to some people I needed to talk to… I found out that the municipal radio of Chavin has been suspended for a while so no expanding the radio show to Chavin for the time being. Also, my one contact to this small community that I worked in and have a school garden officially moved to Huaraz so I’m not sure how I’m going to contact them now.
Oh well, plans were made, plans were stopped, and culture was exchanged. That’s basically what happens over here.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home