Then there was light…
Fun Spanish Fact: When the electricity goes out, the proper phrases is actually “Se fue la luz” which means “the light left.” When it’s working again, everyone says, “llegó la luz” or “the light arrived.”
Ok, anyway, when I got back to San Marcos after my little stint in the states, everything seemed perfectly normal. Sure, the light would go out when it was raining in the afternoon, but that was often just a preventative measure from the provincial capital of Huari to not have any serious problems. But after three days of a collective four hours of “luz,” it was seeming like something was wrong.
Now, to put this a little more into perspective, for the first time in my Peace Corps service, I actually do need electricity for my work. Just last week I officially started the “Las Chicas de Conchucos” radio show which transmits twice a week in the district of San Marcos (soon to reach the district of Chavin! What, what). Anyway, during a training from the Peace Corps, we were given a computer program which aids in editing for radio shows so basically, a much better is made if we record it on the computer, edit it with the program, and then burn a cd and put that on the radio. This processes is just a tad more difficult if I don’t have at least three hours of electricity to edit the half hour show. One, I don’t really know how to work this program (anyone know what “pan” means?) and two, well, I’m a perfectionist (you’d never know it from the finished product, though… J )
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blog reader participation time!!
If you know how to upload sound files to the blog, tell me and I’ll try to upload some radio shows to the blog!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, so, if San Marcos doesn’t have light, well, less work for me! But, as I was walking around Thursday afternoon, I noticed that the radio was going, lights were on, it was party time. Whoa! Light! So I rushed back to the casa to find, nope, still no light.
But, what? San Marcos has electricity… And why is the telephone pole outside of the house at a forty-five degree angle? Hmm…A little asking around and I learn that a car ran into the telephone pole outside of our house and therefore we are not going to have electricity because they broke the cable. Oh, awesome. I wouldn’t normally mind but that fact that San Marcos has light means I should be putting out a radio show and I’m leaving for Thanksgiving vacation on Monday so I need to have two shows finished to give the radio station for the week that I’m not going to be here. So, aaaah!
Anyway, today is Sunday, and the light was fixed and in the mean time, I was able to go to the missionary’s houses to try and get light so I already have one show done. Yay!
Next show isn’t done at all so I have to go out and do some interviews… Hopefully the luz will hold. Tsutsu was going to come over this morning but it looks like that’s not going to happen so… anyone have ideas of how to put on an interesting and informative show about iron and anemia? Anyone?
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home