In the AZ...

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Um, oops?

Hey everyone,
Well, for the last month, I’ve basically forgotten to write any blog entries. So, I’m going to try and write some quick summaries:

Radio show: I’m officially starting shows when I come back from the states on the 8th of November. I have until this Friday to make some small spots to advertise or, well, do something. Hmm, and I have two days to figure it out…

Peru 10: Guess what? Guess what? There might be a new Peace Corps volunteer in a nearby caserio of San Marcos! And it’s all my fault! J Muahaha… I’ve been developing a new site and just had the initial meeting with my director and some authorities in the town. Now, I have a lot more work to do… Blah… But, I did figure out how to get people to come to a meeting!! That is a very novel and useful skill, by the way. People don’t just come, nay, they most assuredly won’t. So, I invited them on Friday, went back on Monday to remind them (and make them send representatives if they couldn’t come), and went back three hours before the meeting on Tuesday to, well, remind them once again. This town is an hour and a half walk away, I’ll have you know.

Tanin: I have a Nutrition course going on in Tanin, a caserio of Chavin, right now. And no one was showing up. So, I had a little chat with the director of the elementary school where I might have, um, raised my voice? Anyway, it worked and he called a meeting of all of the parents in the school for my course. Upon seeing the quantity of people, I changed theme and we did a small discussion of how cheap vegetables are when you grow them and then we hopped right into growing a school garden complete with compost pile. So, on Friday they called a “faena” which is when everyone comes and does a group project, more or less. So, we are going to level the ground, plant seeds, remove a latrine, and dig a compost hole. Sounds awesome. We shall see…

Piura: I went on a technical exchange in the first week of October to Alta Piura to learn about organic composting and to see my friend Casey! It was amazing! Alta Piura is beautiful, much greener than where I am living, but still in the Andes Mountains so the scenery is pretty similar to my site. It was a great experience and inspired me to start composting in my house and the school gardens that I’m working in. AND, Casey is doing an exercise class so when I get back to site, I’m starting one too…Woohoo! I’m going to be an aerobics instructor! :)
Hmm, I guess that didn’t take as long as I thought…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home