In the AZ...

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Silence in the Peruvian Campo

In the rustic setting of the Peruvian sierra, I live amongst the Quechua speaking, traditionally dressed population. Perhaps some of you have the naïve notion of life in the country, away from the commotion of the city and it is possible that in some sites without electricity. However, let’s analyze the present moment. I’m in my room, listening to an episode of Seinfeld on my laptop (I really did get a lot of work done today, don’t worry), my host family was just given a new TV from host brother who lives in Lima and they decided to put it right next the wall of my room so some sort of techno-Hindu music is now blasting from that side of the room, on top the tenents are blasting the customary Huayno music, and oddly enough the music changes to well, more huayno when you go outside. I’ve never quite understood how that happens but the loud unnecessary music seems to change when I go outside my room. How does that even work?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home