In the AZ...

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

On the panel

Hi!
Happy Tuesday!
I´m going to Huaraz on Sunday!! Yay!!
Maybe my computer will work! Woohoo!
Alright, so today the plan was to go to a meeting at the municipality to listen to a summary of what an NGO had done in the San Marcos area (called SumCanada) which had something to do with water and sanitation and I was excited about it.
Before the meeting I wanted to check at the high school to see if the director was there and go to the Aldea. Ok, that´s the scene.

It´s 9a.m. in the morning when I hear a knock at the door and it´s for me! (It´s never for me..) It´s the English Professor at the high school. I don´t really like talking to him because he keeps talking to me in English when there are lots of people around that don´t speak English. This alienates them and makes me feel uncomfortable too. Ok, anyway, he tells me that they need my help at the high school.
"Right now?" I ask.
"Yes."
"Ok, let me get my keys."
I felt like super gringa, off to the rescue. It was a good forty-five minutes until I figured out exactly why I was running off to save the day.
I showed up and did talk to the director, which was really cool because I´ve been attempting that process for a week now. My job was to be on the evaluation panel for the new English professor and the new music teacher. And, had there been other positions, I would have sat in on that too. In fact, I ran the interview for the English professor. In another fact, I was the only person in the room who spoke any English. Now, I did happen to agree with the other people on the panel as to the right choice so that was a releif but what were they planning to do if I hadn´t been at my house at 9 in the morning? (I haven´t been there for the last five days...)
Second part of that wonderful meeting was that it definitely lasted until 4pm. Hence, way too late to go to the cool water meeting (I went and checked to see if the Peruvian Hour was in affect but alas, San Marcos and it´s random punctuality are at it again...)

So I went to an internet cafe! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home