In the AZ...

Sunday, December 31, 2006

My afternoon

Ok, so I go out to do the internet thing and go say high to the professor friends. I get called a “callejera” on the way out of the house by Jessi, my eleven year-old host little sister. Calle means street and the meaning is more or less than I’m always in the street loitering around. Which is untrue but she’s eleven and this is not the first or last name she will call me. Then she will want to play the next day, or minute, so really no worries. Anyway, the point of me telling this actually has more of a linguistic purpose. The Spanish language is ripe for little kids (and big kids) to come up with creative names to put down other people. It’s incredible. “Always in the street-person” doesn’t quite have the same ring. One day the kids asked me what English was for “Ojona” this is a girl with big eyes. Um, “big eye girl”?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home