In the AZ...

Saturday, September 16, 2006

From Peru!!

Hi! I´m in Peru!!! We arrived last night around 10:30pm and finally left the airport around midnight. Customs, baggage claim, and everything else was complicated and the fact that there was a group of 38 magnified the problems a bit. But we all loaded onto the bus and loaded our baggage on a bus heading towards the training center. We, however, went to a place called Huampani, which is a retreat center north of the city.
It's nice and definitely in Peru! The rooms and bathrooms remind me of the Costa Rica casitas. These are called bungalows, which just sounds more fun. I think that every hotel should call their rooms bungalows and then they would get more business.
We all arrived at 1:30am to the center and crashed. I was put in charge of setting the alarm and, though I changed the hour on my watch, I failed to change my phone because I didn't have it on. So, when I set my alarm I set it for seven but my two roommates and I got up and ready at 6 because of my little lapse in judgement. Oh well, we took an hour nap and then went to breakfast. :)
We've learned how to contact the PCMO, Peace Corps Medical Officer and I took a little optional course on Survival Spanish just now. We also got to meet some volunteers that are down here and have already been in Peru for a year. It was really interesting hearing some of their stories. First of all, they all are in town because they are going to run in the Lima Marathon tomorrow, which is awesome and I intend to run as well next year! Woohoo! Also, many of the volunteers have a dog or cat! One of them has 13! Now I'm thinking of getting a dog when I get to my site....
During my interview with my APCD, I talked about my interest in nutrition as in over or under-nutrition and also I have been recently thinking about water sanitation as that deals with bacterial and viral diseases because of contaminated water. She said I came to the right place so that was very encouraging. I also told her about my research, which I really don't think she wanted to know... Hmmm...
Ok, going to go interview about my new host family!! Aaah! Wish me luck!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home